Monday, March 11, 2013

New Lesson Learned

Another old post

I recently started watching Season 1 of Fight Quest. I'm watching the episode on Kajukenbo. I've had a friend or two that have studied Kajukenbo, an art which I'm pretty sure originated in Hawaii. Unlike most "traditional" martial arts, I actually like Kajukenbo quite a bit. Maybe that's because it's actually a no-holds-barred system meant for the street. I would definitely suggest it over most martial arts you'd be able to take.

One of the principle concepts between Kajukenbo is always being prepared for another assailent to pop out at you in a street encounter. In the gym, they taught to finish someone off as quickly as possible (not necessarily "finishing him off" as in ending the individual's life but disabling your attacker) and immediately be up looking around your enviroment for someone else to come at you.

The fact that this was something previously untaught to me, shows that no style (not even Krav Maga) is perfect and entirely complete. The key to succesful self-defense training is cross-training. Even if it's just learning about and meeting practitioners of other arts. There's always something to be learned in another system.

-Stay safe out there

No comments:

Post a Comment