Monday, March 11, 2013

Combat Fitness

Today I've decided to discuss combat fitness. Now I know that a lot of people right now don't have a gym membership, especially with the economic hardships at this current time. I myself do not have a gym membership. I recently picked up a copy of Felon Fitness, written with input of a number of California Department of Corrections inmates. I would highly recommend this book for anyone interested in self defense and/or fitness.

I'd like to address a few recent changes I've made to my workout, due in part to Felon Fitness as well as training with a buddy who recently returned from Army Basic Combat Training.

1. I've dropped traditional crunches in favor of the V-up. This little exercise is admittedly more difficult than the old crunch, and it definitely works the abs faster. I can do 50+ crunches (and I'm somewhat out of shape) whereas I can only bang out 25, max 30 of the V-ups.

2. I've been reminded of the utmost importance of working on legs. For men, its effect is even more important. Leg exercises release testosterone, which obviously leads to larger gains in all of the other muscles. So now I have added lunges and squats to my exercise regimen so as to increase the effectiveness of the rest of it as well as to not ignore the largest muscles in your body. Don't forget, your legs have more power than anything else. For strong kicks and knee strikes, don't forget to tone your leg muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment